Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some of the questions asked most frequently by our customers. If you have a question that is not covered here, please contact us.
What is your returns policy at Christmas?
You have a whole two weeks after Christmas in which to return your gift. You are then able to exchange it or in some cases we can even alter the size. Just give the 'Countess of Contentment' a call on 01460 221006 and she will do her best to help you.
Can I place an order by email or phone?
Of course, telephone us on 01460 221006 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do I get any guarantee with my jewellery?
All our products come with a one year guarantee, if it breaks we can repair or replace it. Nothing lasts forever though and if it simply wears out it’s probably time to treat yourself to something new.
I’m buying this as a gift but I’m not sure if it will fit, can you alter sizes of things?
80% of our bracelets and necklaces we are able to either make shorter or longer depending upon your preference, this can usually be done in one of our shops or at head office for a small cost.
Does this come gift wrapped?
All our jewellery comes either wrapped in acid free tissue or in a presentation box with matching gift bag. We now also offer a gift wrapping service, for just £2.95 and we'll beautifully wrap your purchase in our specially designed wrapping.
I saw an item at a show, I’ve decided to buy it but I can’t see it on your website, can I still buy it?
We have a large turnover of stock at our shows with a lot of pieces being one offs BUT if you give us a good description or maybe even a little doodle we’ll do our best to track it down.
What is the jewellery made of?
Simple! Everything silver is made from Sterling Silver. This means it has a minimum of 92.5% silver with the other 7.5% being alloys to increase its durability.
Do all your shops hold the same stock?
No, there are certain designs that are our bestsellers and we try to keep stocked in all shops but they all also carry items that are one offs or from a very limited range meaning you can buy jewellery that no one else is ever going to have.
How will my order be delivered?
We send our jewellery in padded envelopes made from recycled material via the good old Royal Mail. Everything needs to be signed for so if you’re planning on being out have it sent somewhere else otherwise the poor old Postie has to carry it back to the depot with him.
How do I clean my jewellery?
To clean silver we use a silver cloth for regular shining, it’s easy and gives great results as it doesn’t leave any residue. If you’ve been rolling in the mud however we’d recommend a quick rinse in soapy water and then Silver Dip if further action is still needed. Some stones however, turquoise and Lapiz Lazuli in particular, are porous so need to be kept away from any moisture.
Can you repair something if it breaks?
90% of our pieces we can repair, simply pop it back to us at the office with your name, address and a contact number and we shall have a look and see what we can do and advise you on prices and what we can do for your piece. If you live near one of our stores, pop in with the broken piece and the staff will have a look and advise you on what they can do.
Where does the jewellery come from?
Most things come from a small town in the mountains of Mexico, but we’re always on the look out for fresh ideas and we’ve recently visited Thailand and Hong Kong. Many of our designs originate from here in our Somerset office.
My friend has a beautiful bracelet she bought from you 3 years ago, do you still stock it?
Possibly not, that’s just not the way we work, however if you’ve got your heart set on that one we can see if we can find you one on our next visit to Mexico, sending us a picture of the piece can be a good place to start.
How long do I have to return it if I decide it’s not right for me?
You have 14 days to return goods as long as it's in its original packaging and in a saleable condition, preferably with proof of purchase, you can take it into any of our shops or pop it back in the post to us at:
Hiho Customer Service, PO Box 124, Chard, TA20 9BT.
Remember to get a proof of posting stamped at the post office and we recommend using recorded delivery so the item is trackable.
Who do I contact if I have a complaint?
We take all complaints very seriously, we are still learning and feedback helps us to get better at what we do. If you have something to say tell us at email@example.com be assured all serious complaints go straight to the managing director and you will receive a rapid response.
Who designs the jewellery?
Emma and her team are always scribbling down ideas for new designs which make up a great deal of our range, the rest of the products we source directly from designers in Mexico and India.
Are the stones real?
Absolutely, we use many different stones some of which we don’t know the name of but we love the way they look, the pearls we use are cultured but they are real, different colours are achieved by introducing different chemicals to the pearls as they grow. Some stones do need more looking after than others and can fade in time through exposure to sunlight or moisture.
What are the two tone items made from?
Our two tone items have always been really popular with gold lovers, and was developed following a request from a customer who just loved our silver snaffle bracelets, but wanted a gold and silver version and as you know, we always aim to please our customers. We set out to achieve a two tone look without the risk of the plate rubbing off, so our two tone is brass plate rather than gold plate as it is much harder wearing and will last forever. Everything we sell is solid sterling silver, the two tone colour is achieved by plating silver with brass, giving a fabulous gold-like finish. All silver needs to be worn and loved, and our two tone jewellery is no exception, store separately in a plastic bag (as this reduces the oxidisation that causes tarnish) and to remove any tarnish that builds up, just a rub with a silver cleaning cloth and it will be back to its glorious glow.
Can I have it engraved?
We do offer an engraving service, only some of our products can be engraved and it will give you the option on the product to do this, it takes up to 5 days to be engraved as we have to send it off.
What is its carbon footprint?
This is something we are working on firstly to pin point and then to decrease!
If I place my order today when can I expect to receive it?
Order before 4pm and we’ll endeavour to dispatch the same day, you should receive orders within 48 hours.
How can I be sure my payment is secure?
When you shop with us we use SECPay for all card payments, you can be assured that your card details are securely encrypted during transport over the Internet so no one can access your card information. The card details are only transported to a Bank to authorise your purchase.
How do I return items to you and will I be charged for this?
Items can be returned free of charge at any of our shops or returned to us directly in the post (remember to get a proof of posting).
Will I be charged postage for my delivery?
Jewellery orders over £50.00 are Free Delivery (UK Mainland Only)
Jewellery orders under £50.00 are £2.95 (UK mainland only)
Homeware orders are £2.95 (UK mainland only)
Overseas delivery ranges from £10.00 to £15.00 depending on where you are sending it too.
Next Day Delivery is £6.00 (UK mainland only)
What happens if my order is lost in transit?
All orders have to be signed for and whilst in the hands of Royal Mail are covered by insurance.
Can I cancel an order?
If your order hasn’t been dispatched yet there’s no problem, if it’s now in the hands of our local postman you can return it to us for a full refund.
Is your Jewellery hallmarked?
The jewellery is mainly made in Mexico and India and the main component used is sterling silver. Sterling silver means that it is 92.5% silver with 7.5% other metals. These other metals are added to the silver to increase its durability as silver is a very soft metal. No nickel is used in this process. By law, in this country, we are not allowed to describe something as sterling silver unless it is stamped with a British hallmark. All of our silver is “sterling” quality. This means that each piece is a minimum of 92.5% pure silver. The other 7.5% is other colourless metals, added to the silver to make it harder. Pure silver is comparatively soft and these other metals added, base metals, make silver more durable.
Our silver does not contain nickel. The hallmark itself is made up of different elements, some that have to be there and others that are optional. Our pieces are normally stamped (or lazered) with 3 elements:
Our company hallmark HH in a square box (optional) 925 in an oval. This indicates that it is sterling silver and imported
Anchor or other symbol indicating the place of assay
We try and ensure this hallmark is in the same place on as many items as possible so it’s easier for you to find! This should be the ring or near the clasp end. The simple mark of 925 on its own is a stamp applied in the country of origin and should not be confused with the British hallmark. When a metal of a lower value than silver is used in the production of our jewellery then the piece is no longer eligible for hallmarking and the only items that are exempt are those which are under the legal weight threshold and in silver this is 7.78 grams.
For further information on hallmarking please take a look at the link: http://www.edinburghassayoffice.co.uk/downloads/Dealers_Notice_Edinburgh.pdf
I’m buying this as a gift, can I return it if my friend doesn’t like it?
Of course, with the exception of earrings for hygiene reasons, all our jewellery is returnable should you change your mind or realise that your granny doesn’t wear cufflinks!